Healthy Marriages for Strong Families
Campaign to Stop Domestic Violence and Foster Healthy Relationships (October - February).
In a 2011 national survey
conducted by Project Sakinah and Peaceful Families Project every two out of three (66%) Muslim Americans reported
to know someone being abused in their closer circle. One out of two (53 %) of them
reported to be abused themselves. This included various types of abuse
by a family member. This means a huge number of American Muslim households have
a presence of abuse of some form. Which also means that a significant number of
our children are being raised in an unhealthy environment that is detrimental to
their mental, emotional and physical growth.
Project Sakinah is launching this four-month campaign to address the issue with
a holistic approach. We invite the entire community, organizations and professionals
to join hands with us in stopping the abuse and growing strong families.
- to raise awareness about the prevalence of Domestic Violence and its consequences
within the Muslim American community,
- to encourage people to help stop domestic abuse through intervention and prevention.
- to encourage spouses to improve their relationships through taking various classes
- to encourage couples to seek counseling and other services to resolve conflicts
within family members.
- to draw attention to growing need of having pre-marital marriage counseling as a
must condition for every Muslim marriage in America.
How YOU Can Help:
Ask for a khutba ...
Ask your Imam to deliver Khutbas about domestic violence and its consequences, healthy
and unhealthy relationships, and importance of community.
Set up a table at mosques, community centers, and college campuses ... (more)
You will need to get permission to set a table at any premises.
Here is what we recommend to set on a campaign table:
- PS Brochure: "Protect Your Loved Ones”
- Small business cards with information about our online directory for Muslim families
- Campaign buttons
- Bumper Stickers: “The Best of You is the Best to His Family”
- PS Brochure: Gathering Community to Stop Domestic Violence
- PS Brochure: “Project Sakinah Saving American Muslim Children”
- PS Campaign Posters for people to take photographs with
- PS Sign Up Sheets for people who would like to stay in touch with us.
- A Big Purple Donation Box to collect money for Project Sakinah and other local DV
- Materials from other agencies or DV organizations in your area.
- Some teams also give away candies, donuts or some other give away sweets.
Raise money through the Purple Box Campaign ...
In addition to having a purple box on campaign tables, these boxes could be used
at Friday prayers, Eid gatherings and halaqas to collect money to stop domestic
violence within your local Muslim community.
- All checks should be payable to Dar al Islam.
- Donors should write “Project Sakinah” in memo.
- Dar al Islam is a 501 C3 organization. All donations are tax exempt to the extent
allowed by law. We are zakat eligible too.
- All money collected through checks or cash would be sent to Dar al Islam’s
head office in New Mexico within 3 days of collection.
- All money collected in the purple box will be divided among PS local team, PS national
team, and the local non-profit domestic violence organizations per team’s
wishes. The recommended organizations must be registered 501 C3. They would need
to provide the proof to Dar al Islam’s accountant.
- Dar al Islam will issue receipt for all donors within 3 business days of the receipt
of donations. The receipts will be sent out through emails.
"Telling Amy's Story" group discussion ...
- Telling Amy’s Story is a documentary that comes with a companion community
toolkit produced by Penn State University for raising public awareness about domestic
- Hosted by actress and advocate, Mariska Hargitay, Telling Amy's Story follows the
timeline of a domestic violence homicide that occurred in central Pennsylvania on
November 8, 2001.
- The victim’s parents, co-workers, law enforcement officers, and court personnel
share their perspectives on what happened to Amy in the weeks, months, and years
leading up to her death.
- While we will never be able to change the ending to Amy’s story, we hope that
its telling can change outcomes for the millions of victims, survivors, and loved
ones affected by domestic violence every day.
- The website http://telling.psu.edu/share/index.html provide excellent tools to organize
a small group discussion or a larger community events. We propose to make it an
informal documentary viewing event that would be followed by a discussion. Please
refer to the website for help in facilitating the discussion. This is an excellent
- Cost: $25. Each team will need to buy their own DVD.
- You can also use this online video on Vimeo that has been uploaded by the State
of Virginia. This video also includes the live state-wide discussion sponsored by
the state two years ago. This is another very good resource. http://vimeo.com/15662030
Organize Workshops and Programs ...
Help organize workshops and
for couples and families in your community.
Tweet @ProjectSakinah ...
Follow us @ProjectSakinah
Tweet at us using #StopDV, #GrowStrongFamilies, #Pledge2StopFV
On Facebook ... (more)
invite your friends to “Like” our national page
Share your stories ... (more)
We encourage all everyone to share and collect true stories about surviving abuse
or helping someone getting out of an abusive relationship from their communities.
Make it news ... (more)
- Media Advisories and Press Releases: PS national will provide you with the templates
of both. We ask all team leads to keep their local mainstream and Muslim media outlets
media posted about all activities. More info will be included in the media kit.
- We should try to have all campus activities be covered by the school newspapers.
Donate ... (more)
Support this campaign through your generous donations
money can help us spread the message across the communities. Together we can save
many children and families, inshaAllah.
- Prep Sheet: Please
download this document and share it with your imams, community leaders and
writers to help them with their khutbas, speeches and write ups on these issues.
- Research: The Report of National Survey
Attitude of Muslim Men and Women Towards Domestic Violence”.
- Videos: We have compiled several videos
of Khutbas delivered by renowned scholars and Imams .
- Books: Check out these
publications for more in-depth understanding of these issues.
- Campaign Material Here are various campaign material
to be distributed at various community events.
- Blogs:Read and share these
blog posts addressing various angles of the issue.