Using the Law

Protection or Restraining Orders:

  • Ask your local domestic violence program who can help you get a civil protection order and who can help you with criminal prosecution.
  • Ask for help in finding a lawyer.

In most places, the judge can:

  • Order the abuser to stay away from you or your children.
  • Order the abuser to leave your home.
  • Give you temporary custody of your children and order the abuser to pay you temporary child support.
  • Order the police to come to your home while the abuser picks up personal belongings.
  • Give you possession of the car, furniture and other belongings.
  • Order the abuser to go to a batterers intervention program.
  • Order the abuser not to call you at work.
  • Order the abuser to give guns to the police.

Make sure you:

  • Show the judge any pictures of your injuries.
  • Tell the judge that you do not feel safe if the abuser comes to your home to pick up the children to visit with them.
  • Ask the judge to order the abuser to pick up and return the children at the police station or some other safe place.
  • Ask that any visits the abuser is permitted are at very specific times so the police will know by reading the court order if the abuser is there at the wrong time.
  • Tell the judge if the abuser has harmed or threatened the children; ask that visits be supervised; think about who could do that for you.
  • Get a certified copy of the court order.
  • Keep the court order with you at all times.


“In the Beginning”

One of my earliest childhood memories is the one where I wake up from sleep on my step uncle’s lap to find his finger inside of me. I can’t remember how old I was, I was definitely young enough to still be... More>>



Project Sakinah
Dar al Islam
P.O. Box 180
Abiquiu, NM  87510