Risks to Abusers
Allah Subhana-ta’Ala tells us:
“We shall set up scales of justice for the Day of Judgement, so that not a soul will be dealt with unjustly in the least. And if there be (no more than) the weight of a mustard seed, we will bring it (to account): And enough are We to take account.” - (21:47 –Yusuf Ali interpretation)
If you are abusive, the risks for you continue from this world into the next. You run the risk of Allah’s punishment in the next life. You also run a number of risks in this life:
- Loss of Life. A fight may lead to a reaction from the victim in which someone is killed. The abuser may also decide to take his own life to escape other consequences.
- Loss of home and valuables. The abuser may decide to leave their home abruptly in order to escape consequences.
- Loss of Family. Speaking up about an abusive situation may lead to separation and divorce. Legal custody of children may not be given to the abuser by the court. Even if you change your ways, the damage already done may be so great that you r children and spouse are forever aliented from you.
- Incarceration. Many abusers lose their freedom and end up in prison.
- Serious Injury. Fights can lead to serious injury for either the abused or the abuser.
- Loss of Respect and Reputation. You may have fooled others in your community for a time, but eventually the truth of your behavior towards those you are charged to protect and nurture may come to light. The truth may manifest, the falsehood vanish.